Deborah R. Smith
Please initiate contact via email
Publishing and Advertising industry expert with extensive experience in advertising layout and creative design, including sales and sales support. Strong organizational skills and sensitivity to strict schedules and inflexible deadlines. Proficient time-manager accustomed to multiple projects with varying levels of complication and time frame specifications. Instrumental in the development, composition and implementation of process improvements and procedural documents, instruction manuals and training and technical documentation, presentation and training.
| Customer Service
|| Adobe Photoshop
|| Adobe Dreamweaver
| Time Management and Scheduling
| Sales and Sales Support
|| Adobe Flash
| Adobe Illustrator
|| Microsoft Office Suite
City of Bristol Virginia/Bristol Virginia Police Department (February 2011 - present)
Communications Officer, Dispatch
Answer 911 Emergency and administrative calls. Dispatch Police, Fire and EMS as determined to be required by circumstances of call. Direct public in safety and emergency procedures over the phone until help arrives. Track and keep up with location of all officers, fire and ems crews on duty at all times and be prepared to send assistance as needed. Enter and document all information regarding locations and activities of all services. Take calls and dispatch MedFlight for local services and surrounding counties including State Police missions. Enter/clear wanted and missing persons, stolen property and orders of protection into NCIC and VCIN. Handle warrants, court documents and various other paperwork involved with law enforcement. Multitask to handle/monitor all consoles, phone lines, incoming VCIN terminal traffic and on scene personnel at the same time.
BH Media Group / Bristol Herald Courier (February 2011 - 2013)
Occasional free-lance projects including advertising layout and flash files for online advertising.
Media General / Bristol Herald Courier (March 2010 – February 2011)
Retail Sales Assistant
Assist retail sales reps in all aspects of making customer contact, closing sales and maintaining customer relationships. Worked directly with customers to resolve issues, schedule appointments and relay messages on a daily basis. Created sales proposals and advertisements, handled payments and scheduled online advertising through Yahoo! for sales reps
R.H. Donnelley Publishing and Advertising, Bristol Tennessee (2003 - 2008)
(formerly Sprint Publishing and Advertising)
Achieved and maintained productivity average exceeding expectation by 127% through careful organization of all elements necessary for product creation and strict time management.
• Maintained accuracy of 99.02% through creative adjustments in proofreading techniques and careful attention to detail and request materials.
• Negotiated for the privilege of working from home and became the first designer in our office to do so. At-home workers require less direction, saving the company time and resources. Provided advice and technical assistance to others wishing to work from home.
• Uncovered an error in the color palates that would have presented an issue at press time and reported it to management for correction.
• Verified software releases through participation in testing at the local level.
•Developed, composed and implemented process improvement and procedural documentation, instruction manuals and training and technical documentation on a regular basis.
• Researched, performed troubleshooting and testing for technical, software and hardware issues and problems for designers, customers, associates in other departments, managers and IT associates locally and in remote locations as requested.
• Instrumental in the successful conversion of pre-press operations from Sprint Publishing and R.R. Donnelley Pre-Press Divisions to R.H. Donnelley through testing, training and design and development of new forms and documentation.
Sprint Publishing and Advertising (1977 - 2003)
(formerly DirectoriesAmerica, formerly L.M. Berry and Company)
• Increased revenue through development of a new high end product. Provided technical expertise as part of development team. Researched copyright laws and potential technical issues related to the new product and presented my findings to the team and to the Marketing Department.
• Coordinated a process in conjunction with local and remote IT, managers and supervisors to allow real time upload of high end product files directly to servers at the remote printer location. Included testing, documentation and presentation of results. Approval of this process improved efficiency and reduced production time lost over the previous process.
• Increased productivity on a daily basis by insuring the receipt of proper materials through assistance to customers, designers, design firms and others in the use of publishing software and in pre-press specifications for quality reproduction at various levels.
• Trained employees for graphics designer position as well as for varied incidental software, operating system and/or process skills.
• Provided product support for internal and external customers.
• Investigated and documented customer complaints involving art design, layout or quality and recommended assignment of responsibility, by department, for errors.
• Increased sales through production of quality design of creative speculative ad copy.
• Maintained strict production deadlines.
• Achieved and exceeded expectations for productivity and accuracy.
• Expanded my skills and duties to include acting as backup for technical support when needed.
City of Bristol Virginia
Officer of Elections (2004 – 2005)
• Insured proper registration of voters
• Assisted voters with equipment for voting
• Insured proper counting of all ballots for precinct and packaging and secure delivery to officers
L.W. Bristol Classics
Untitled Design Position (1984 – 2005) freelance
• Created computer designs for reproduction on t-shirts, sweats, playing cards, metal cast pins and more for commercial and government customers
• Created designs for fabric embossing, including adapting existing logos for the embossing process
• Created designs for embroidery
• Consulted with customers regarding design ideas and specifications
• Maintained records, file backups and equipment (Cal-Comp color transfer printer, stamping equipment, t-shirt press)
Virginia Highlands Community College, Abingdon, Virginia
Associates in Applied Science Degree with a major in Emergency Medical Services Technology
Career Studies Certificate for Emergency Medical Technology – Intermediate
Certificate in Photography
Virginia Intermont College, Bristol, Virginia
Associates in Arts with major in Graphics
Member of newspaper staff
East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee
Continuing Education Certificate Adobe Photoshop
Who’s Who Among Students in American Junior Colleges
The National Dean’s List
Merit List for Academic Achievement
American Heart Association
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Virginia Department of Fire Programs and Virginia Fire Services Board
Hazardous Materials Awareness NFPA 472-02
NIMS Certification (National Incident Management System)
NCIC/VCIN Terminal Operator Class A
General Dispatcher Certification
Bristol Life Saving Crew – Volunteer ( September 4, 2003 – 2013)
- Secretary 2007
- Parliamentary Lieutenant 2008
- Training Sergeant 2006 – 2009
- Equipment Sergeant 2009 - 2011
- designed, created and maintained web page (2004 – 2008)
received awards as best in State of Virginia 1st place (2006) and 2nd place (2007)
Southwest Virginia Medical Reserve Corps - Volunteer (Oct 2005 – 2013)
Member Tennessee Association of Rescue Squads
Member Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads
Member Phi Theta Kappa Society - Alpha Gamma Rho Chapter 2006
The Gamma Beta Phi Society 1988
Member Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge #48